1 Tbsp coconut oil
1 chopped onion
1 chopped pepper
1 Tbsp each: minced garlic, cumin seeds, oregano, chili powder, black pepper
1 can tomato paste
4 cups Catahoula rice
5 cups water or broth (adjust salt if needed)
1 ½ tsp sea salt
Instant Pot Directions:
- Heat the inner liner of the Instant Pot on “Sauté” setting. Melt coconut oil. Add onion and pepper. Sauté for about 5 minutes until translucent.
- Add garlic, cumin seeds, oregano, chili powder, and black pepper. Stir and let sauté for about 1 to 2 minutes.
- Stir in tomato paste and brown rice and let cook for another minute or so. It will begin to caramelize a little bit and deepen the flavors.
- Add the veggie stock and sea salt. Give it a good stir to incorporate all the flavors.
- Place the lid on the Instant Pot and lock into place. Press the Manual button; adjust time so that the pressure time is at 15 minutes. When done and pressure has naturally released, remove lid.
To prepare on the stove, sauté in a rice pot on the stove. After you’ve added the broth, process as you would cook brown rice. Bring to a boil, then lower the heat and cover with with lid slightly cracked until water is absorbed and rice starts to puff up.